Self-Reflection

Descriptive Essay : Self-Reflection

Developing a descriptive essay at first wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. The hardest part was thinking of a topic/idea to write about, because at first I couldn’t think of whether I wanted to write about a thing, people who are close to me or a place. After so much thinking ,I choose to write about  my village for my descriptive essay because I want other people to know that how beautiful is my village . I had to look back at my memories to describe every little beautiful thing of my village. Once I thought of these idea, I immediately wrote it down, all my thoughts flowed through my writing. Writing the essay was much easier after I gathered all my thoughts about my village. Throughout the whole essay, I used my senses like sight, touch, hear, and smell to describe my village and its beauty.

one of the most difficult things for me when writing essays is organizing my ideas and thoughts. But organizing the idea for writing essay was much easier this time because before writing the descriptive essay we were required to write an outline for our essay which made it more easier and clear for me to organize my ideas. Writing an outline also saved my lot of time during writing the whole essay because since I had my outline and  I knew what I need to write and how I would write.

Also, one of my greatest weaknesses is my use of commas. I often use very long sentences with lots of information but forget to use commas to break up my long winded thoughts. But by doing peer review in class where my group member helped me to fix my problem with my commas. They also helped me with my grammatical mistake. I think peer review was beneficial because by doing this we all abled to exchanged our essay, read each one of them, and edited grammatical mistake. In this process we gave our input on each other essays, criticism, and suggestion to improve our essays which help each of us to make our essay better.  

Not only our classmates but also our professor helped us to fix our essay. We gave our best descriptive essay draft to the professor and after that she looked at each of our paper and made note in our paper for thing that we need to fix and which was really helpful for me. I also used my professor notes to revised my essay. At first I had so much repetition in my introduction which I didn’t notice but after my professor return my draft where she include that I had repetition and after that I fixed that problem. Also my professor commented on my draft that for my descriptive essay I wrote so many things in such a way that uses a lot of details but doesn’t feel personal. Which helped me to improve my descriptive essay because, after I read my professor comment I able to recognize my problem. After that I used my memory and sensory detail to describe my village and I think which will help the audience to imagine my village more better.

I also think one of the reasons that writing the descriptive essay was easier to me was because of the way the information was presented in class. I think the professor talk so much about how to write the descriptive essay. And she made it clear what exactly we were supposed to write.  

The course learning outcomes is what we are supposed to learn and benefit from writing the assignment. One of them was to explore a variety of genres in reading and writing. We developed strategies for drafting, reading, revising, and editing our essays. In class, we read different descriptive short stories  and discussed the rhetorical situations of the stories and I think, which fulfil the curse learning outcomes and helped us in writing our own descriptive essays. I used lot of sensory details during writing about my village because I think which will help my audience/reader to visualize the beauty of my village. I designed my essay by describing each paragraph focusing on specific moment and sense.The purpose of my essay was to describing my village, it’s beauty, lifestyle, and it’s  people.